Slovenian Quality Assurance Agency in Higher Education (SQAA/NAKVIS)
|Street name:||Slovenska cesta 9|
|Postal code and City:||SI-1000 Ljubljana|
|Phone/Fax:||+386 1 400 57 71/ +386 1 400 57 79|
|Contact person:||Dr. Ivan Leban|
|Function of contact person:||Director|
Legal Bases/ Membership
Q: What is the legal basis for your agency (non-profit organization, for-profit organization, foundation, association etc.)?
A: Non-profit non-governmental direct user of the State budget
Q: Who are the members of your agency?
A: 22 employees- General Dept., Quality Dept. + Director + Agency Council (11) + Appeal Committee(3) + Register of experts
Q: Is evaluation/accreditation by your agency a national requirement? What procedures are mandatory – if any and what are chosen voluntarily/additionally?
A: Evaluation/accreditation is mandatory requested by Higher Education law; Voluntary-counselling
Q: Is the agency involved in programme or institutional evaluation/accreditation or both? What are the consequences of evaluation/accreditation outcomes?
A: Council of agency makes the decision on the outcomes of expert report after the external evaluation of institution or study programme. Accreditation is given for 7 years, for shorter time or denied always with recommendations and with the right to appeal.
Q: Please describe the structure and the activity periods of the decision-making body and state who delegates/appoints its members.
A: The structure of decision-making body is prescribed by the law as:
The Agency Council shall consist of 11 members:
- three members shall be appointed by the rectors’ conference, one member shall be appointed by the representative association of independent higher education institutions,
- one member shall be appointed by the representative association of higher vocational colleges,
- two members shall be appointed by the representative organisation of students in cooperation with student councils,
- one member shall be appointed by representative employers’ associations by agreement,
- one member shall be appointed by representative trade unions in the field of higher education by agreement,
- two members shall be appointed by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia through a public call for applications: one shall be an expert in the field of higher education or quality assurance therein who studies or works in the Republic of Slovenia, while the other shall be an expert in the field of higher education or quality assurance therein who studies or works abroad.
The Agency Council shall be constituted and shall start work when at least six members have been appointed. The term of office of the members of the Agency Council shall be six years, while the term of office of student representatives shall be two years.
Q: Can HEIs in your country choose international services from EQAR listed agencies?
A: At present the accreditation is granted on the external evaluation by SQAA only.
Q: Please mention the international links of your agency and especially list the international organizations your agency is a member in.
A: CEENQA, INQAAHE, ECA, EQAR, ENQA; Some experts of agency are working for EUA IEP.